For someone new to the car, of course, a little confused how should care for the right car: what to note, the components of the car that must be checked and how to repair minor damage that occurred.
Routine car maintenance can minimize damage, extend the life of the car, prevent further damage and save car maintenance costs.
For example, the use of wind pressure on the right tires can make the life of the tires longer, the legs of the car more durable, handling/steering system more durable, better acceleration and better tire grip. Conversely, the tire pressure is less good can cause tires easily run out, the feet of the car quickly wear out, and the engine work harder.
The following are the components of the car that need to be treated routinely:
Car Battery Treatment
Caring for the car battery at least there are 3 things to note include:
- Battery water level: make sure the battery water is at the level that should be above the lowest line and below the highest line (line mark), do not let the water shortage and if the lack of added volume of battery water to the recommended level, use pure water (distilled water) battery
- Battery voltage: make sure the battery voltage is 12 volts, how to check is with voltmeter
- pole hygiene: both negative and positive poles on the battery are often dirty due to chemical reactions, always clean if it looks dirty so that the electric current supplied by the battery is not choked (good quality)
Automobile oil has a certain usage limit, how many miles of oil should be replaced. In general engine oil can last up to 5 thousand to 10 thousand kilometers depending on the route though, if the oil is too long not replaced then the dirt dissolved in oil more and not ideal in the lubricate the engine, in addition to the amount of oil must also always check so the engine does not lack oil.
Indications of oil to be replaced are:
- Kilometers show between 5 thousand to 10 thousand
- We can check by removing the oil stick, make sure the volume of oil in accordance with the recommended level recommended stick
- Try dropping the oil on the fingers, then feel whether the oil is still clean or there are pieces of fine metal. if it feels a few metal flakes then the oil should be replaced
Caring for Radiators
Radiators are important enough to function as a car engine coolant, the quantity (amount) of water on the radiator determines how well the radiator can cool the engine apart from the course of a good fan spin, the water radiator can cause less cool and the engine becomes hot faster and the engine performance becomes reduced (even suddenly breaking down due to overheating). Before a long trip check if the water is reduced, add it to the brim.
Make sure the water on the radiator is always full not to less, use clean water to keep the radiator durable because if the water used dirty it will be easy to crust and have to clean it.
Caring for Tires
Car tire maintenance is actually quite easy that is by maintaining the tire’s wind pressure and the suit of the right car legs, well-maintained tires can extend the life of the tire itself and the untreated tires will be easily brittle and unusable. Here are the tire treatments that should be done:
- Appropriate wind pressure, usually tire wind pressure spiraling between 30 to 33 psi for MPV car and 28 to 31 for the car sedan, if the car is often loaded enough then the tire pressure strain on the maximum pressure of the tire (32-33 psi for MPV car ) and if it is rarely loaded at a suggested minimum pressure (30-31 psi car). Automotive lovers should check the recommended tire pressure because on the tires there is usually a writing that states the maximum pressure of the tire (in addition to the tire wall), do not exceed the pressure written because the tires are at risk of exploding.
- Do not drive with a total load exceeding the ability of the tire, on each tire contained load capability limit, calculate the total load of the car and divide by 4 (four tires) then see if it is greater than the ability to carry the car tire load. carrying loads/ passengers/goods that exceed the recommended weight tire burst/handling becomes very difficult.
- Driving at the speed limit that can be done by the tire, the tires also listed speed limit that can be done by the tire, exceeding the recommended speed limit can cause a fatal thing
- Always wash and clean the tires regularly, if possible tire polish for tire elasticity maintained and longer tire life. Dirt such as dust and water or mud that left can cause rubber tires easily brittle, if the tire is so easily torn and not feasible wear.
- Always pay attention to the problem of the balance of the car, do spooring and balancing when the car is unbalanced in the running for example the tire is not straight (twist) when the car is running, because the tire is not straight can quickly spend tire tread and damage the components of the legs other cars such as shock breaker or alloy wheels
Take care of the lights
Lights serve as illumination and communication devices with other drivers, check all lights starting from the headlamp, lights up to brake lights. Wearing a quality bulb can make the car light better and more durable, but do not use lights with the outside of the recommended car, for example, using halogen lamps that absorb a lot of electricity because it will make a fast battery is overwhelming. Notice also do not have a light that always absorbs power from the battery continuously when the car is dead (the used cars often occur electrical leakage due to these lights until the battery is very easy to run out)
Caring for Car Wipers
Always replace wiper rubber if the rainy season arrives because usually the age of wiper rubber is 6 months, every 6 months change rubber wiper car (time well with the coming of rain season). The old wiper rubber is not replaced will lose its elasticity and the possibility of car windshield is big enough if forced (usually imprint on the car windshield), in addition to replacing the wiper rubber routinely check also the condition of spray (nozzle) washer (water spray to wet the glass before the car wipers operationalized.
Check the quality of the washer water and if it dirty replaces it with a cleaner, if there is a blockage in the spray hole (nozzle) then remove the dirt that clog the nozzle hole with matchstick / toothpick, if the rainy season arrives then the wiper and washer’s role is very urgent, especially wiping splashes from other cars.
Avoid parking in hot places (direct sunlight) because the more often the car is exposed to sunlight, the more easily dull paint the car, park the car in the shade at home (make a roof for car shade).
Caring for Car Cabins
Always clean the car cabin from the dirt, usually, there is dirt on the floor of the car (used food), the car seat (sweat), and dust attached to the interior of the car (clean the dust with microfiber duster/wool)
If the car smells unpleasant do not use perfume to eliminate the smell, better clean the source of odor then use natural perfume such as clove/ tea/ cardamom/leaf pandan / etc. The use of non-natural perfumes can damage the lungs if we suck it for long periods of time.
Caring for the Car Glass
Routine car washing is the most recommended glass treatment, if you want cleaner then automotive lovers can use glass cleaner to make the car glass look clear. this car glass cleaner can be purchased at car workshops (car care) in the nearest town.
For car window glass make sure the rubber/plastic car window does not touch the windshield when it is up and down if it is fixed then fix it and clean the dirt because of the possibility of plastic/dirt staggering glass big enough if touched.
Caring for Car Seat
Clean the car seat at least once a month so that the sweat attached (especially in the driver’s seat) does not become the crust and change the color of the car upholstery, dirt from sweat this can eventually cause the smell.
Do not forget to carry your car’s equipment like a bottle jack, standard keys (toolkit) and car manuals (if any). Because unexpected things often happen in the middle of the journey, for example, leaking tires and cars broke down